Hello again! I’m back with another recipe. And not surprisingly, this one is inspired by my love for Asian cuisine.
To be fully transparent, this is a recipe that I found before I was on the CKD diet. It’s Weight Watchers, which is great, but because of the salt, some of the veggies, and use of brown rice, I had to adjust it slightly to work now. But it works just as well (if not better!) and I continue to love it. This recipe is completely customizable too. You can add any veggies you’d like to this dish or if you want to swap chicken for shrimp or beef or just leave it as veggie, feel free! It’s really simple and comes out just as delicious. I’ve admittedly tried this with many, many varieties and like it all the same. Also, this can easily be transformed into a side dish if you want to take out the protein altogether.
Also, because I’ve made this so many times, I’ve found a slightly better order to cook everything, as laid out in my instructions below. The method in the original Weight Watchers recipe works fine too – but I like actually stir frying the rice separately so it gets a nice yummy crispiness.
Original Recipe: Weight Watchers, Find it HERE
Revised Recipe: Me, Jackie 🙂
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 large egg white(s)
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked scallion(s), chopped, green and white parts
- 2 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 12 oz uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cup(s) cooked white rice
- 1/2 cup(s) frozen green peas, thawed
- 3 Tbsp of cilantro, chopped
- 3 Tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- OPTIONAL: 1/2 cup(s) uncooked carrot(s), diced
NOTE: If you have a wok, this is ideal for this recipe. If not, I would recommend using a large skillet that is pre-heated until hot. You can use a cast iron or nonstick, but it’s important to make sure it’s hot before you begin cooking anything. That creates the nice sear on the bottom like a wok would. It also should be a larger size – there’s a lot of food in this recipe!
- Pre-cook the rice according to package instructions. Set aside and allow to cool.
- After skillet has warmed up, coat with 1 tablespoon of canola oil and add the chicken. Cook until done, when no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes. Add the peppers, optional carrots, minced garlic and ginger. Stir together and allow to cook for 4-5 minutes or until peppers have softened.
- Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Coat skillet with remaining 1 tablespoon of canola oil and add the pre-cooked rice. Spread the rice out around the skillet so as much of it is covering the surface as possible. Allow to sit (untouched) for 5 minutes or until slightly browned on the side. Stir around the pan and allow other side of rice to cook for additional 3-4 minutes.
- Once the rice is browned, add back in the chicken, peppers, garlic and ginger. Add in the coconut aminos and rice wine vinegar. Add the frozen peas and stir together. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes until combined.
- In the center of the skillet, make a hole by pushing back the rice-chicken-veggie mixture towards the outer edges. In the hole, add the egg whites and stir. Egg whites will cook quickly so make sure to stir rapidly until they are scrambled. Once they are fully cooked, combine the eggs in with the rest of the mixture.
- Add cilantro and serve.
Yields about 1 cup per serving.